Q. How do I ensure pool safety?
A. There are some easy to remember rules that need to be followed to ensure the safe use of swimming pools and spas at all times. Swimart strongly recommends these top tips for pool safety:
- Fence the pool. Ensure your pool or spa has compliant fencing and childproof locking. Remember, a fence and a gate is not a substitute for supervision.
- Supervise children at all times around water. If you need to leave the pool or water area, take the child with you.
- Learn to resuscitate. Take a CPR course so you will know what to do in an emergency. Display a resuscitation chart on your pool fence, too. They’re available at your local Swimart store.
- Don’t leave furniture or other potential climbing items near your pool or spa fence.
- Familiarise children with water by taking them to swimming lessons at the local pool.
- Ensure all pool users are warned against sitting on, or covering, a drain or suction point. This can cause injury, or in extreme cases, death.
- Empty paddling pools, baths, basins, sinks and troughs when they are not in use.
- Never consume alcohol around water. Alcohol and swimming don’t mix.
- Be aware that poorly designed pools and spas can create an entrapment hazard. Get a licensed pool builder to review your pool and spa to ensure safety, replace broken or missing suction covers and have anti-entrapment covers fitted if needed.
- Never put your head under water when in a spa.
Need more pool and spa safety tips? Looking for a CPR poster for your pool? Visit your local Swimart store today.
TIP: Ensure your pool is fenced.
TIP: Learn CPR for pool safety.
TIP: For pool safety, remove furniture and other potential climbing items from the pool area.
TIP: For pool safety, supervise children at all times near water.